D-Fam

D-Fam

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The Road To Disney (WE'RE FINALLY IN ORLANDO!!!)

So I've been on the road for the past week to get to Disney and haven't had time to blog about it. So this morning I'm going to pump out like four blogs, including check-in/casting, role and housing assignment, our apartment, and today's vlog of our trip details!! It was a crazy trip.

January 17th, 2017: Lindsey and I flew out of Seattle-Tacoma International Airport to Denver International Airport, then took a shuttle up to Fort Collins (reminder: Fort Collins is where I went to school). One of my old roommates picked me up (thanks Katelyn!!) and we got to go out to dinner at Stuft, and super awesome burger restaurant with all of my college friends. This night we stayed in a hotel so we could get our beauty sleep for the next day of driving, but the other nights we stayed at friends houses.

January 18th, 2017: We left our hotel at 8:15am after eating breakfast and headed to Kansas! We used an awesome website called GasBuddy.com which maps out your trip based on your vehicle, and the cheapest gas stops you can make along your ride which saved us a good $20 or so. But anyway, we mapped out each gas stop ahead of time, so our first stop was in eastern Kansas. Let me tell you, all of eastern Colorado and Kansas is flat and brown, so not the most interesting place to drive through. We got in to Stilwell, Kansas around 7:15pm and got to stay at my mom's cousin's house (my first cousin once removed?). It took us about 9 hours of driving, 10 hours total with stops along the way.

January 19th, 2017: Back in October/September when we booked these flights we gave ourselves two buffer days in case of weather, but the weather was perfect driving through Colorado/Kansas, so we stayed a day in Stilwell with my family. My mom's cousin took us to the barn with her and we got to ride a little bit, and she and my second cousin took us out to brunch. Even though Kansas is slightly atrocious, it was a super fun day :) Oh, and I went into their Honda dealer and got my oil changed. Also there was a passenger bag recall so they also replaced that.

January 20th, 2017: We left for Louisville, Kentucky around 9am, and drove through Missouri (DON'T STOP IN EAST ST. LOUIS), Illinois, Indiana, and Kentucky. It took us close to 7.5 hours driving, and 9 hours total because we stopped in Missouri to see Lindsey's cousin! The drive was super easy, we didn't hit any traffic, even around Kansas City and St. Louis areas. Super great though, because it made for a quick drive! Well we got in to Louisville (apparently pronounced Loo-ul-ville) close to 7:45pm and got Olive Garden for dinner. We stayed with a good friend of mine, Katy, who did my first program with me!!

January 21st, 2017: This was another buffer day so we spent it exploring a little bit of Louisville, and eating really good food. We got crepes at Twin Sisters, ice cream at the Comfy Cow, coffee at Please & Thank You, and dinner at the Village Anchor. It was all so tasty haha but I'm such a foodie. Lindsey has family near the Kentucky-Ohio border, so she drove an hour over to Lexington, and got to meet up with them while Katy and I went out to dinner.

January 22nd, 2017: This day was quite the day. We drove roughly 13.5 hours from Kentucky to Orlando, going through Tennessee and Georgia. Shockingly, we hit zero traffic going through Nashville, Chatanooga, AND ATLANTA (whaaaaaat). This was a Sunday though with some nasty storm warnings, so I guess it makes sense? We missed the worst of the storms for sure, we just got hit with some rain a few times, but apparently there were like 19 deaths storm-related in Georgia that day. So anyway, we drove straight to Downtown Disney (oops, Disney Springs), with one accidental detour that took us by a correctional facility (LOL). It was so fun to be back on Disney property; Lindsey and I got Earl of Sandwich for dinner, walked in World of Disney, and got completely drenched by the rainstorm. So here's where it gets interesting: we were driving to our hotel from Disney Springs, were literally 300 feet away from our turn into our hotel, and got in a car accident. We were at a yellow flashing light (which means go, yield if you have to), and t-boned a man in the middle of the intersection. Turns out he had a flashing red (which means stop, then go if there are no cars) so luckily his insurance is covering everything. His car definitely got totaled, and mine is TBD on damage. The whole front bumper area is smashed, the airbags deployed, and the hood of the car is a little wonky. Somehow both my headlights are intact though? My car was bigger than his and got hit on a sturdier side (he got hit on the passenger door, no passengers thankfully) so he had the worst damage. Anyhoo, we went to hospital for insurance purposes and we're both fine. I have a small burn from the airbag, and Lindsey has a bruised chest from the seatbelt, but my car did good. Now it's getting towed to an inspection center so I can know the damage and whether or not it's fixable.

That's our road trip!! We had to take a taxi in the morning and move all our crap to the taxi van, but I am finally sitting here in my apartment so it's okay. :) Thankful to be alive and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment