D-Fam

D-Fam

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Post Disney Depression

Post Disney Depression (PDD) people, it's a real thing. Especially now that applications have come out for fall of 2015, it's taking ALL of my self control not to apply. I've spent the day reading my old blog posts, going through pictures, listening to Disney music, I'm out of control people. The DCP may seem like a lot of work, I definitely had my days where I just came home and complained about work, but when you leave you truly realize what you had. That cliche saying about you don't know what you had until it's gone is SO TRUE. And I'm friends with so many people that extended into spring and are doing the program that it's always at the forefront of my mind!  So I'm trying to convince my mom to do a detour with me in July when we go to Colorado...I propose we stop by Disneyland on "the way" ;) It's totally out of the way, but whatever. It makes a nice triangle. WA -> CA -> CO

What you don't fully appreciate about Disney until after you're gone is the full extend of Disney magic. It doesn't stop at the park exit, or under that magic archway, it stays with you, never truly forgotten. I used to see giddy adults, full grown adults, acting like children because that part of their brain that remembers all those good feelings Disney stirs up in you. Disney magic not only transports you to another time and place, it transforms all people into children. Small children who's only cares in the world are being happy. For a time you forget your troubles, your job back home, a failing marriage, whatever is weighing you down in life, and can spend one blissful week in every child's paradise. Because all of us are children at heart, whether or not your body shows it. Working for Disney allowed me to create happiness for children of all ages, whether they're two years old, or 103, by working for the company you are a part of something so much bigger than yourself. You see, we're where the magic begins. Disney cast members create happiness in everything they do, whether or not it's noticed. Keeping the parks spotless, cleaning the hotel rooms, driving the trams, every single cast member generates a bit of magic, and all of it combined is where it all starts. And the best part about Disney magic? It never ends. It only grows. I loved Disney as a child, and now every time I go back to Disney it gets a little bit harder to leave. And once you've lived the life of a Disney cast member, there's no going back. Your goals are no longer to be a successful business woman, or doctor, or lawyer, it's simply to be happy. Because being immersed in Disney magic allows you to embrace the child within, the part of you that wants one simple thing: happiness. Life no longer is about achievements and recognition, it is so much simpler. It's a new world where you gravitate towards love, hope, happiness, and anything that generates good feelings. Disney gives your life meaning.

Of all the people I met while working for Disney, the happiest were the youngest and the oldest. Children are still young enough to escape many of the negative influences of adult life, and the older generation are wise enough to know how to give life meaning. I've heard people say that the elderly have the most in common with children, because to them, there is nothing more important than being around people you love, and doing the things that give you joy. This is what Disney has taught me, life is not about how much money you make or how popular you are, it's about bringing it back to the basics and striving simply for happiness and contentment.

So that's my two cents on my personal experience with PDD...I don't even know where that giant monologue came from but as you can see, doing the DCP seriously changed my life. Of course I'm still going to finish college and be sensible about things, but it's no longer so important to pack my free time with internships and volunteer experience: now I think I'd rather just enjoy where life takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment