D-Fam

D-Fam

Sunday, January 24, 2016

How the DCP Affects Your Health!

Here's a question I kept asking going into the program: will I gain weight? This post is meant to address those odd questions you might have or are curious about, but don't know how to ask!

You will be very active if you spends a lot of time in the parks. I personally just maintained weight, but I ate AWFUL food. We're talking ramen, mac n cheese, ice cream, chicken nuggets, frozen pizza, and fries. Like daily. Veggies didn't exist while I was there. So that I would eat all that crap and not gain weight gives you a nice idea of activity. I also didn't go to the gym or pool a single time, so don't sweat it (literally ;)).

My roommate Lindsey had a different experience. She had the same diet I had, the same walking activity, but lost 30 pounds, yes that's T-H-I-R-T-Y pounds. She wasn't very active before Disney whereas I was, so that's where the difference came in, but most people I knew lost weight. Apparently some gain weight, but I'm guessing that's for you exercise junkies! One girl actually went down two pant sizes (she was there for fall advantage).

SKIN! My skin (and my roommates) has never been so clear in my entire life. The Florida humidity I guess just clears your pores? I don't know, I'm no expert, but I absolutely had the nicest skin of my entire life. This is coming from a girl who's used everything from Proactive to prescription strength acne medicine. I was hardly even using face makeup by the end of my program! Lindsey was the same.

Mental health for me was fabulous. This totally is a case by case basis, but I had the most positive and happy experience. My roommates (aside from a hiccup here and there) were FANTASTIC, my coworkers were amazing, and I woke up everyday so thankful for the experience. No, my role was not very glamorous, or even fun sometimes, but I was surrounded by optimistic people who WANTED to be there. I found that with my experience, I was incredibly happy and positive, and was in a better place than I was before or after my program.

I got sick once or twice, but those were just little colds. I was pretty healthy the whole program, and my room roommates never got sick. The other room had one or two more serious things go around them (I think one got the stomach flu once?) but I didn't experience that.

Overall, I had an incredibly healthy experience. Many lost weight, we all had clearer skin, and I think most of us had great mental health as well! Part of this is outlook, part of it is choices you make on the program. It's a very easy choice to be positive, and that seeps into all parts of your DCP life. This is especially relevant going into the program. If you don't get the role you wanted, just be thankful you got accepted! I promise that you have the opportunity to have fun no matter what role you're given. The second part of making choices relates to what you do on your day off. Some people never really went to the parks and just slept. Yes, sleep is important, but by doing this you will probably be getting less exercise.

There you have it! This is my own experience with the DCP, and there is a huge amount of variability here. It absolutely depends on you and the choices you make, as well as where you are going into the program.

CONCLUSION: There is a great chance you will have much healthier skin by the end of the program, if you are not very active before your program, you will probably lose weight, and if you remain positive, then you will probably have great mental health as well! Take advantage of it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment