D-Fam

D-Fam

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

What Year of School Should I Do The DCP?!

Here's a question that gets thrown around A LOT: "What year in school is the best to do the DCP?". My answer? It totally depends. I did it the fall of my sophomore year of college, and the timing was great for me but is completely different for other people. Here are some key things to consider:

1. Credits. One reason I chose to do the DCP when I did was because I came into college with 43 transfer credits from high school, so could afford to take a gap semester. I would recommend that if you want to graduate on time, load up on summer classes beforehand so you don't have to take online classes while you're there. Another credit situation to look at is if you want to graduate on time, and take online classes while doing the DCP. If you do this, I recommend taking the easiest possible online classes if you haven't used those up (electives and gen ed's preferably). Basically the questions to ask yourself regarding credits are A) do you want to graduate on time? If so, what's your plan? and B) Do you still have easy classes left over that you could take while at the DCP?

Another reason credits are important is because they help you establish yourself within your major. Since I was ahead of my classmates with my transfer credits, taking a gap semester sophomore year made sense so when I came back to school they had caught up with me. This isn't vital but it's something to think about. If I had done the DCP the second semester of my freshman year, I would be stuck with freshman classes when I came back while all my friends were starting to take major courses.

2. Do you get homesick easily? If you are a freshman or sophomore and it's still really hard to leave home, you might want to consider putting the DCP off until you're a little bit more independent/detached from home. One of the biggest reasons that people self-term at the DCP is due to homesickness, and if you self-term, you lessen your chances of being hired again. Make sure you're ready to be 100% committed to being away from home for an extended period of time, and during holidays. You don't want to go too early, self-term, and threaten your chances of being hired on again if you wanted to go back when you're older!! SO many people jump the gun and decide to do the DCP as 18 and 19 year-olds but aren't ready for it. Obviously, there are tons of 18 and 19 year-olds that do the DCP and have a fantastic time (I did! 19 going on 20 when I was there!). You just have to know yourself, if you're having doubts about leaving home, that's probably a sign you're not quite ready.

3. Finally, what do your short term plans look like? I recommend sketching out a rough idea of where you want to be every year for the next 5 years or so. For me (when I was applying my freshman spring) that meant 4 years of college, the DCP, and a semester abroad. Now my 5 year plan would include doing the DCP after I graduate, and extending into a PI. Just make sure that the DCP fits in well with your 5 year plan. This includes doing the tedious work of figuring out (with your advisor preferably) which semester is easiest to put off, some classes are only offered fall or spring, and some pre-req classes you don't want to put off. It totally sucks, but do the brunt work before applying to make sure you can actually make it happen.

Those are the key things I would look at before you consider applying and/or accepting your CP offer! If I were to be super vague and assume you all are like me, I would definitely recommend doing it your sophomore or junior year. Freshman year, in my opinion, is too soon. You miss out on so many college experiences by cutting out half of freshman year. The only time I might recommend going for it in your second term/semester/quarter of school would be if you're at a community college or commuter campus. I just don't recommend missing out on the freshman dorm life experience! That's where I made all my best friends at college :) Secondly, I wouldn't recommend senior year because then you'll never want to leave Disney and go finish school. Senior year is for you and your friends to suffer through upper division classes together, write your honors thesis (if you're like me, ugh), and plan your life. It's just easier to be in one place for all of senior year. If you want to go back to Disney and you're a senior, definitely apply the semester you graduate and go after you graduate college (that's my plan!), it's a great time to go have fun before real life starts. Or even turn Disney into your real life :)

So that's my two cents on the matter! I hope this was at least somewhat helpful. It's a hard blog post to write because there are SO many factors that go into choosing the right time. There has been at least one person in every possible situation who has done the program and LOVED it. This includes freshman through seniors. the newly graduated, grad students, and even non traditional students (meaning adults who go back to school after they've had kids or something). You just have to be PATIENT and do what's best for you!

Sorry this is so long. Let me just insert a Disney picture here for your enjoyment ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment