D-Fam

D-Fam

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Week Two: Magic Kingdom Orientation, Training, and Days Off!!!

So here's a giant compilation of my first week after Traditions!!!

January 29th (Sunday, the day after Traditions): So this day I went to Epcot by myself, then Lindsey and Alyssa met up with me. We walked around the World Showcase, walked through the aquarium outside of Finding Nemo, did Soarin' Around the World (OMG SO GOOD), rode Figment, did the little show right next to Figment that's three Disney short films, and rode Frozen!! Super fun, and I hadn't ridden any of those attractions so that's super cool.


Then we headed over to Hollywood Studios where we met Moana, rode Toy Story Midway Mania (literally shortest I've ever seen the wait time at 20 minutes), rode the Great Movie Ride, and watched the Star Wars fireworks!! Those were super amazing. Anyway we went home after, but it was an awesome and full first day in the parks!! I think I got like 20,000 steps in.


January 30th: Monday I went to Animal Kingdom with my roommate Brooklyn and our other roommate Mariam met up with us. Brooklyn had never been to DAK so it was super fun to experience that with her :) We rode Kilimanjaro Safari, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, and watched Festival of the Lion King. 



After DAK we went to Magic Kingdom to watch Wishes and get dinner!! I have my roommates hooked on kid's chicken nugget meals ;) We also went and met Rapunzel and Tiana and rode Journey of the Little Mermaid.

January 31st: I had Welcome to Operations today which was horrendously boring. You basically sit in a classroom at Disney University and learn how to be safe and utilize the four keys. But I had that from 7:30am - 2pm. After class I basically went home and did laundry and all that good stuff.

February 1st: I had my Once Upon A Time Is Now class which is pretty much Magic Kingdom orientation!! I worked from 7:15am - 4pm. In the morning we took a giant guided tour of the Magic Kingdom and the tunnels with new CPs working in all lines of business. We got to ride the People Mover and were supposed to ride Haunted Mansion, but it was down :( After that we broke for lunch and grouped up by role and location! So I was in a group with Fantasyland attractions. They immediately gave us our exact attraction assignments and training schedules, and I'm working Storybook Circus! So that includes Dumbo and Barnstormer. Of our group there were 4 working Storybook Circus. maybe 6 working Philharmagic/Princess Fairytale Hall/Carousel, 4 working Pooh/Teacups, 4 working Peter Pan/Small World, and 1 working Mine Train. And maybe one at Mermaid. So they must not have had a need for many CPs at Mermaid or Mine Train. After we found that out we went on another walking tour specifically of Fantasyland and all the important places we should know such as offices, AED locations, etc. We also got to ride (via FastPass) Little Mermaid, Mine Train, and Small World! And perhaps most exciting...we got our costumes!!! I'll post a picture once I had one, but Circus is pretty cute.

February 2nd: This day I worked from 8am - 4:30pm and it was pretty much a continuation of the day before. A lot of Fantasyland and attractions information, and some classroom training!! We also got to meet one of our leaders, Sarah, who was awesome.

February 3rd: First day in costume!! I worked from 5:45am (yes I was up at FOUR IN THE MORNING UGH) - 2:15pm and it was day 1 of on the job training. The four other Circus girls and I met our trainers, and started learning how to open Barnstormer in the morning! We had two trainers between the four of us, and luckily I got paired with the coolest trainer and the coolest other girl haha. I trained alongside Tamara, and our trainer is named Jeff. Basically we all have so much sass it's ridiculous and everything is a blast. Well anyhoo, we powered up Barnstormer (we're going to call it Barn) and that was a 45 minute ordeal that includes a lot of manual power up stuff. Part of that included walking to the top of the lift (hill) and checking the safety gate!! Super cool because it was sunrise and we had a great view, but terrifying if you're scared of heights (like Jeff). The rest of the day we did some reading of the operations guide/manual, and did some of the easy positions like greeter. Greeter is the person at standby who measures heights and answers questions! We also did grouper which is the "hi how many? Rows 1 and 2 please" person. This is more stressful because it's a bunch of mental math to fill the plane, and you only have about 45 seconds to do so. I loved it because it made time fly! Then after work I went to Magic Kingdom and brought my nice camera with me to play around. Then my roommate Alyssa met me there and we basically ate dinner, rode Winnie the Pooh, and watched Once Upon A Time (the new castle light show). I got a nutella waffle with strawberries and bananas from Sleepy Hollow and it's actually SO GOOD. Wow.




February 4th: I worked from 6:45am - 3:15pm and had day 2 of training! We opened Barn again but did some different roles. We did grouper again, and worked merge, which is the person who combines the FastPass and standby lines. This was pretty easy, but you have to mentally do ratios of standby to FastPass. We also learned how to work main console (main) which is the person who pushes the buttons to make the ride go (the bigger stand) and also checks half the plane for the lap bar! Then we went out and did it, which was pretty easy but there's an overwhelming number of buttons haha. And that was pretty much it for the day!! After work I headed over to Hollywood Studios to meet up with Cory and we did Tower of Terror, Great Movie Ride, Star Tours, ate dinner at Backlot (where all my old coworkers from Studio Catering Co. transferred to), and watched the Star Wars fireworks! Cory hadn't seen the fireworks before so it was the most adorable thing ever to watch his reaction.

February 5th: Today I worked from 6:45am - 3:15pm again, and this time we opened Dumbo! Dumbo is so much easier than Barn, so it was a very stress-free day. We did grouper at Dumbo, which is basically counting people and fitting them into one of the 16 elephants, greeter, main, and remote. Remote is the smaller panel thing with buttons, and you need both remote AND main to power up the ride. So pretty much we checked seat belts, pushed a button that lets it go after main presses theirs, and read a spiel. Now I'm home, I just ate dinner and did laundry! And I think I'm going to jump over to Walmart.

That was my week!! I'm going to try get into a weekly posting schedule and basically do what I just did and recap. Tomorrow we close Dumbo so I get to FINALLY sleep in! YAY!!! I worked 38 hours this past week, am scheduled for 41 this week, and 46 next week. Those hours don't include our half hour unpaid lunch, so realistically add a few hours on top of that for "hours spent at work" haha. I mostly have closing and midday shifts, no openers! No surprise there. I do have my first 12 hour shift next Tuesday though - 8:30am - 8:45pm. Woah. I'm also off Tuesday/Wednesday this week, and Sunday/Monday next week. That's it for now! HAVE AN AWESOME DAY.

No comments:

Post a Comment