D-Fam

D-Fam

Monday, February 20, 2017

Week Four: WORK WORK WORK WORK WORK

Helloooooo humans! Weekly update: I worked every day but last Monday (it's now Monday the 20th), and work until Wednesday, so I think that's eight days in a row.

February 13th (Monday): This was my other day off. Unfortunately, both Sunday and Monday only I was off (literally not another soul had these days) so I didn't do a whole lot. I slept in then headed over to Epcot for a few hours. At Epcot I basically wandered aimlessly around the World Showcase. I got a snack in France that was basically an ice cream sandwich made with caramel ice cream and caramel sauce on a brioche roll thing. So they but it on a little grill thing, the end result being toasty on the outside and ice cream on the inside! So that was fun and yummy. I sat in France for a while and read my Kindle while eating my snack, then later headed to the Electric Umbrella for lunch/dinner and got my classic kids chicken nugget meal. I also went to Club Cool for a few soda samples, rode Soarin' with a FastPass and went home! Not super exciting.

February 14th (Tuesday): I worked from 8:30am - 8:45pm and don't remember anything particularly exciting happening. All my days just kind of blur together, especially with me working so many this week! My shift was long enough that I had one unpaid lunch, and three paid 15-minute breaks.

February 15th (Wednesday): My shift was 4:30pm - 10:45pm, a super weirdly short six hour shift. I had my class in the morning which was good, not particularly thrilling but included a lot of good information about their marketing department that could be used in an interview. I went back home after class got out at 11am and took a two hour nap before heading out to work! Work was super easy because by 4:30pm most of the crowds have died down, and by 10:45pm it's completely dead.

February 16th (Thursday): I worked 11am - 8:15pm and mostly worked at Dumbo. I also got a little card for answering a safety auditors questions correctly. In attractions we have safety auditors come around pretty frequently to observe us and ask questions pertaining to safety to ensure we're operating safely. He asked me two super easy questions about what to do if a kid was too short, and what to do if a kid was too young to ride by him/herself.

February 17th (Friday): I worked from 10am - 9:15pm. Work was fine, but I got off in time to watch Wishes from backstage, so after I clocked out (we can clock out 12 minutes early since we have to take a short bus to get to work) I stood by the bus stop and watched the fireworks! They set the fireworks off SUPER close to the backside of Circus/Mermaid areas so they literally fill up the entire sky and it's super incredible. It also sounds like bombs going off. So I enjoyed the fireworks :)

February 18th (Saturday): I worked 4:15pm - 12:45am and Magic Kingdom was PACKED. We had 72,000 guests in the park since it was President's Day Weekend. We had lots of cranky guests as you always do with large crowds, and that sucks, but that's life at Disney. I was at Ringmaster FOREVER (inside the Dumbo tent where you hand pagers out to guests for the play area, it's part of the standby queue when it's busy) and that sucks because 1) adults hate that they are required to wait in there until their pager goes off, even though they're waiting the same amount of time and they can sit down in the air conditioning and 2) it is SO HARD to explain to guests who don't speak English what the purpose is. We have a sheet that explains the process in Spanish, Portuguese, French, and German, but they still get confused. So I had a few guests tell me they were so disappointed in Disney, and their vacation has been terrible, and blah blah blah. So you just smile and move on haha. The good guests BY FAR outweigh the bad guests, which is great. Also just about all my favorite coworkers closed with me so that was super fun.

February 19th (Sunday): I worked 2:45pm - 12:45am and even though it was still very busy, I had much better guests. I worked Barnstormer and Dumbo pretty 50/50 but got to chat with some awesome families. I also had a little girl come up and hug me and it was SO CUTE. Although I did have this one family that was terrible and out of control. I was working at grouper on Barn (where you tell people what rows to sit in) and had like five kids probably 10-14 or something in ages and ask them how many and they say they're waiting for their mom, so I tell them to step the side and wait for mom to catch up. Then they point and say "oh she's right there, coming up the line, if these stupid people would just move over and let her through" and start yelling at the other guests to move. So mom joins and I ask if they're together and they say yes, so I put the six of them in three row and continue grouping. Well another couple comes out of nowhere to join the family of six, and when the gates open they literally flood the station and steal other people's rows and are basically a menace. So Xavier who was on main panel ("lift up on that lap bar please" person) tells them to all turn around and go back through the gates. So they are all super rude about it and I had to shuffle people around so the awful group of eight can sit together. Oh, and I had a group of 10 that wanted to wait for the front row which is also dreadful. But it was great aside from that haha.

February 20th (Monday, today): I traded with my coworker to work later so I'm working 4:30pm - 11:45pm. I went to Walmart today and spent way more than I needed to, actually cooked real food for lunch, and am now about to get ready for work!!

Also got my schedule for next week and I was originally scheduled 46 paid hours but was able to trade around a few shifts so I'm worked closer to 40 paid hours, all evening. Yay! Inspections are happening starting today and go through March 4th or something, so we cleaned up the apartment a little bit. Also I'm off Wednesday and Thursday this week! So I'm going to the parks with Alexa on Wednesday, and Universal with Mariam and Alyssa on Thursday. PUMPED :)

No comments:

Post a Comment