D-Fam

D-Fam

Monday, February 10, 2014

Phone Interview

JUST had my phone interview. I'm all shaky and my butt hurts but the hardest part is done! Now all I do is wait. So my interviewer called on an unknown caller number at 9:20am (my interview was for 9:15am) and so I picked up the phone and said "hi this is Marin". So first she just kind of talked about who she was, her name was Christy, and why she was calling. The first thing she asked was "why do the Disney College Program?" which kind of sucked because since it was the first question I was all shaky. But I told her for resume building, job experience, and networking opportunities basically. And she said "that's what we like to hear" so that's good I guess haha. Next she asked about job experience. She asked about my volunteer job at a local cat shelter, and asked what my duties were there and what my favorite part of volunteering there was. Then she asked if I wanted to add anything else as far as job experience goes. I did, so I told her about my experience as a camp counselor.

She asked me questions like "how do you handle an emergency" to which I awkwardly replied the guests safety comes first, make sure they're all calm then assess the situation and then act accordingly. She asked what the most challenging part of being a camp counselor was, to which I replied making sure the kids are acting safe while riding horses. She asked about what work environment I preferred, fast or moderate and I said fast. She also asked if I would mind working outdoors so I said no. She asked how I would handle a repetitive task, and I said everyday is a new day and every guest is really excited to see the Disney magic, it's my job to make that happen so I would just play off the energy of the guests and kids.

Then she asked about roles. She named all of the roles, and asked for my top two. I said attractions and FSFB. It was kind of funny though because I said "attractions and fast service food and beverage". Then I was like "uhhhh....did I say fast service?" And she thought I meant QSFB so we had a little laugh about that. She asked me what I would say to a kid that is too short to ride a ride, and if I was comfortable speaking in front of crowds and memorizing speeches. I told her I was comfortable speaking but sometimes I turn red and have little to no experience memorizing. She then asked me if I would be comfortable bussing tables in a full service restaurant which I thought was weird but I said yes. Then she asked me about QSFB and lifeguarding which was weird. Both of those roles were low and moderate interest, but after she found out I had a tattoo she took me off lifeguarding. She didn't ask anything about my other two high interest roles (merch and vacation planning). She made sure I knew I could be considered for all roles and I said yes.

When she asked about the Disney look she asked if I had tattoos or body modifications or piercings, so I said one piercing in each ear and a small tattoo on my ankle. She asked the dimensions and I said 1 inch by 2 inches. Then she told me I would have to wear socks and shoes at all times (hence the no lifeguarding) so I said that's fine.

Finally she asked if I had any questions, which I did. I asked about networking opportunities, which set her off into a long spiel haha. She verified my double major (Equine Science and Agricultural Business) and then talked a lot about Animal Kingdom and The Seas or The Land (or whatever it's called) in Epcot so I feel if I get in, I'll end up in one of those areas. I then asked about how the Campus Representative thing works, and if there were any equine related jobs offered by Disney. Then that was it! She said thanks for taking time out of your day, and have a magical day! I said thanks, you too Christy! Then she kind of giggled and hung up. I think it went okay, I was definitely a little awkward on some points but I think overall I answered everything pretty honestly and pretty well. She said I'd hear back in 2-3 weeks, if not sooner so let the waiting game begin!

My advice for the phone interview is to be prepared. Have a few notes (short bullet points) written out that you know you want to hit. The big ones for this would be why you want to do the DCP, how it would help you professionally, and why you're qualified for your top roles (and of course what your top roles are). Aside from that, pick a good time and location that will make you most comfortable. You should also have a few good questions written out to ask your recruiter, and write their name down so you can use it throughout the interview. I would also try to smile, but if that's too uncomfortable or awkward, at least put on your "pleasant and professional voice". Finally, I would recommend doing a little bit of research on Disney policy and use those rules to shape your answers. For example, you know that attractions largest emphasis is safety, so answer all your attractions questions by first addressing safety. That's it!! I wish everyone the best of luck :)

2 comments:

  1. How long was your interview? Mine was 27:48.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly 30 minutes! My interviewer gave really long answers to my questions. Best of luck to you! :)

    ReplyDelete