D-Fam

D-Fam

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Day One - Check-In and Casting

I'M HERE!! My countdown started at like 180 days and now I'm actually here. Wow. So this post is allllll about check-in and casting. Everyone is assigned a check-in window, I was assigned 7:30-8:30am and others were 8:30-9:30am. Though the only time they actually check your time is if you show up early, so I would recommend showing up no later than 8:45. The later it gets, the longer the line gets. But before you get in line, you can store your luggage in this garage thing. Most of check-in is waiting in long, hot lines, but most of the exciting stuff happens here! You find out your role, apartment, and all that fun stuff. So the first thing you do in line is get a name tag and DCP book that looks like a planner. Not too exciting. But this book has a lot of relevant information like discounts, your address, a calender, rules, maps, and other helpful hints.

Next step in check-in is finding out your role. This is super exciting. They ask you your role and name, look you up, build the anticipation, and then tell you. I'm officially working....HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS!! Studio Catering Co. for me :) So excited. My roommates are working ABC Commissary in Hollywood Studios, Hollywood Studios custodial, Pecos Bills in Magic Kingdom, Epcot custodial, and housekeeping in the Caribbean Beach Resort. :) YAY! So after this you go to "station 2" which is where they take your paperwork you were told to bring (DORMS stuff) and they give you your apartment complex. My roommates and I got a Chatham 6 person, 2 bedroom apartment. So yay cheap rent!

Station 3 is getting your picture taken for your housing I.D. It sucks no matter what so don't try look cute. After you get your I.D. card you get your apartment key. After this you go outside and wait in more lines. For the first outdoor station you get a schedule for when you'll have casting, drug tests, housing meeting, and language test. After you get this schedule you go to a table where you talk about the schedule. I only had to attend casting and housing because QSFB doesn't require a drug test, and I'm not fluent in any other languages. Then you move on to the I9 form table and fill out an I9 all together which is very helpful for people like me that just don't understand government documents. Finally you go to a tent to talk about alumni connections and classes and safety, you get free stuff and then you're on your way!

You can either leave your luggage if you have casting right away, or pick up your luggage and board the bus to Chatham. Or move in if you live at Vista. I had casting at noon and was finished with check-in around 10, so I went to the apartment. This is a special bus so it drops you off at your apartment building instead of the bus stop, which is wonderful. BUT BE WARNED: THERE ARE NO ELEVATORS. So if you're on the top floor, like me, you get to carry your suitcase up a bunch of stairs. I was the first one in the apartment, so I chose my room first. They are both fairly large, but our had a bigger closet and bathroom. I'll do a post on that later, with pictures. The casting bus picked us up at the bus stop just past noon, and we were on Disney World property for the first time! So exciting. The casting center is by Downtown Disney, and it kind of sucks. The waiting room is super cool with little gold statues everywhere, and all the waiting is very Disney which is cute, but the process itself is very boring.

Casting consists of paperwork, fingerprinting, and verifying your I9 form. It took us about an hour and half to get through it all, but at least it's indoors so you get A/C! Everyone is so kind, even though they go through hundreds of CPs, the staff is so encouraging and excited for us. It made me so much more excited to be able to work with these people :) Oh, and you also get the first few days of your work training schedule. And Traditions. I have Traditions on Friday, and have to be to the bus at 6:55am. Then I have training at Disney University on Saturday and Sunday, and on-site training on Tuesday. For all of these events we must be dressed Business-Professional. They hand you a VERY detailed list of cans and cants for people when dressing so. But that's about it. Day one is incredibly long, exciting, exhausting, and at times extremely boring. We had our housing meeting today, going to Universal tomorrow, then Traditions on Friday!! More on all that later :) For now I hope all of y'alls days are as magical as mine have been <3

No comments:

Post a Comment