D-Fam

D-Fam

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Week One

So I've decided to just start doing weekly blog updates, unless so much exciting stuff happens I need multiple. I'm so busy now with work that I really don't have the time anyways! So I think I left off with training day two or whatever. Since then I've had 4 days of on site training/work, and one really long tour of Hollywood Studios that was super awesome.

First was the tour. We got to go into DHS (Disney's Hollywood Studios) about half an hour before it opened so we all felt like VIPs going in when it was completely empty and there were guests waiting outside. We basically toured every foot of the park, and stopped every so often for advice and fun facts and information. It's A LOT of info, and most of it bounced right off my head. We got to go backstage of some attractions and restaurants, so that was super fun. At the end we did online classes that certify us to handle certain things. AKA one that lets us handle alcohol, one that teaches us the dining plan, and stuff like that. Overall our day was just under 4 hours.

The following day was my first day of on site training! Since my location, SCC (Studios Catering Company) is often closed in the off season, I trained at Back Lot Express, which is kind of our sister restaurant. I learned how to use the grill and fryer, and how to close trash and bus tables. A VERY overwhelming day, but our trainer was awesome. We worked 8.5 hours, but got a one hour lunch break.

Day two of on site training was at SCC where we mostly worked the line. This is where you assemble the meal, starting with ticket, tray, plate, main course, and fries or sides. Then we hand it over to the counter people who will get drinks and desserts together. It made the time go by super fast, but it's very fast paced and kind of stressful, especially when you get backed up. We closed condiment bar that night, which means we cleaned up the condiment bar (island with condiments, napkins, straws, etc.), re-stocked it for the next day, and covered it. Again, it was an 8.5 hour day, but we got a one hour lunch break.

Day three was at Back Lot Express again, and we learned how to make all of the sandwiches we sell, assemble salads, close counter, and do counter. Counter is where you get the tray of food, read the receipt, and grab whatever drinks and desserts they ordered. Then you hand the guest their food, and move on to the next tray. If there's no trays to grab, you just get to socialize with the guests which is SO FUN. Talking to all the little princesses <3 AH so cute. Well closing counter is just shutting everything down, cleaning the counters, restocking the fridges where we keep bottled drinks, and locking everything up in the front. It was a very good day. Another 8.5 hour shift with a one hour lunch break.

Today was day four! We were back at SCC, and learned stocking and drinks, then got some more practice on counter and line. The stocker just stocks the line and stuff when they 're running low on anything. So this could be plates, trays, applesauce, you name it. They are also in charge of special order meals. Since we make our sandwiches in the morning, if they ask for no red peppers, we go make a brand new one. Drinks is so much harder than it sounds. You're in charge of filling up all fountain drinks for the counter people. We get a screen that says how many drinks, and what kind. But it gets backed up SO fast. Especially when people order multiple drinks, or order a specialty cup. It makes the time pass pretty quick though, and they were all understanding that I was the new girl and stuff :) Seriously my coworkers are the best. We ended with line and counter, and today was a more independent day, and I believe our last day of training. YAY! It was (surprise, surprise) another 8.5 hour day with that one hour lunch break, Did I mention that we got to try food of our menu every lunch? Yep, that's pretty cool. It's only for trainees, however, so we can answer guests questions on taste and stuff. One bonus of working QSFB.

Well tomorrow is my day off and I'm off to HOGWARTS! YAY! I'm going with the roomies <3 I work Monday-Wednesday, and off Thursday, and work through Saturday. I get my schedule for the following week tomorrow, so we'll see about those shifts and stuff. This week I have all 11:15, 12, or 12:30 shifts, and two at Back Lot Express (BLX), three at SCC. Busy week up ahead! Classes for Disney start soon, I just turned in my application to study abroad next semester, time is flying. Also, went to magic kingdom the other night at like 8pm, and finally got to ride Seven Dwarfs Mine Train! SO CUTE! And of course watch Wishes <3 Talk about a fabulous night. Well that's it for now, I'm off to get a good nights sleep. Have a magical week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment