D-Fam

D-Fam

Saturday, January 17, 2015

The DCP Taught Me...

Here's what doing the Disney College Program taught me.

  1. Not everyone who works for Disney is magical. Some people are cranky, rude, mean, or just burnt out. It's our job as "fresh meat" to bring the Disney spirit and inspire our coworkers to do the same. There were so many full timers and part timers I originally couldn't stand, but ended up loving.
  2. Disney overtime is anything over 8 (paid) hours. So anything over an 8.5 hour shift is overtime! Time and a half = paycheck's best friend. My roommate worked 57 hours in her last week, many of these being overtime, and made a $350 paycheck!
  3. If you work two shifts within 8 hours of each other, you get paid double time! This only happened once to me, and if you seek out double time you can actually get in trouble.
  4. Buyouts might mean working late, but they will be your favorite events (with the exception of cheerleaders)
  5. Transtar is not only a crappy bus company, but taxi service as well. DO NOT USE TRANSTAR TAXIS, JUST GET THE NORMAL ONES. We got charged $45 to go to Yacht & Beach Club. My roommates got charged $18 using Yellow Cab.
  6. Don't buy merchandise until you get your holiday discount, pick out what you want then wait it out for the sake of 40% off.
  7. Always travel to Disney with room in your suitcase for the million souvenirs you take home..
  8. Be honest on your initial Disney interview. I said I wouldn't be opposed to working QSFB, and that's what I got put in. Don't be afraid to say no! That'll just set you apart from hundreds of other applicants, in a good way.
  9. Magic Kingdom is always the park people want, but in reality you will get the most hours, craziest costumes, and worst bus schedules. It's not for everyone, but many people do love working in MK.
  10. Wishes will make you cry each and every time you watch it <3
  11. Coworkers are what make going to work easy or hard. I LOVED my coworkers and managers, so it was really easy to come to work. If you hate your coworkers, it makes it so much harder. 
  12. So many people that do the DCP have never worked a full time job, and you can easily point them out. They're the ones that call out sick and complain all the time (stereotypically;)). It's easy to forget that the DCP is first and foremost a JOB. A FULL TIME job. AKA this means a minimum of working 5 days and 30 hours a week. 
  13. After completing the DCP you will know that you can conquer anything because you survived working at Disney over the holidays.
  14. How to grocery shop for one! It is so much harder than you'd think.
  15. I learned what to buy in Walmart (everything frozen!), and what to buy at Publix (fresh produce!).
  16. The closest beach is almost 2 hours away. If you want to go to the beach, it's a day trip.
  17. Florida weather is not always hot! I got more than a few weeks use out of my jackets and sweats.
  18. September-October might not be busy, but it's sure wet and rainy.
  19. Humidity is disgusting, but it also mostly went away for November - January.
  20. Universal is only worth it for Harry Potter, and makes you appreciate how Disney operates.
  21. Always take advantage of any opportunities Disney gives you! Take a Disney class, they're so much fun. And can you say networking?
  22. Disney means so much to me. It's my childhood, my happy place, and maybe even my future.
I hope you enjoyed my random list of things I learned because of doing the Disney College Program, I have absolutely no regrets on doing it and would do it again in a heartbeat. But maybe a different role. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment