D-Fam

D-Fam

Sunday, October 22, 2017

Week Thirty-Nine: Car Problems and LOTS of Mine Train!!

October 16th (Monday): I was off and had a pretty chill day. I spent the afternoon at Disney Springs so I could use up my Starbucks birthday reward (you can redeem at Disney Springs but not at the park Starbucks!), and also did some shopping. I bought my dad his birthday gift (OUR 40% DISCOUNT JUST KICKED IN YASSSSS), bought myself a few things from Sephora, and also bought myself some bath bombs from Lush. Then I got lunch at Earl of Sandwich and headed home. At home I made some homemade Guinness beef stew and mashed potatoes, which all turned out great.

October 17th (Tuesday): I was at the Mine Train from 3:45pm - 12:15am. It was a pretty good shift, I got to remove a train from the track for the first time since training which was exciting. On the downside, Pirates went down (AGAIN) and told everyone they could use their FP's at the Mine since Pirates wasn't going to come back up at all that day. UGH. So that sucked because then we had a giant FP line. Our coords told us to honor their FP's since it's not the guest's fault that the Pirates CM's gave them the wrong information, so we did, but it sent our FP line out the door and around the corner. Which is why other attractions aren't supposed to send guests to us as a form of guest recovery. But it's fine, oh well, the rest of the day went well.

October 18th (Wednesday): I was off again and went to the Florida Mall with my roomie, Martia. We went to Bath & Bodyworks, Yankee Candle (always), Sephora, a few clothing shops, and went to the food court for lunch. After shopping we went home and a few hours later I took my car in to the Toyota dealer to get my window looked at. Well, 1.5 hours later I find out I have a broken window and have to go back on Friday to replace it. Joy. Not the most fun way to spend a day off ;)

October 19th (Thursday): I worked at Mine Train from 7:30am - 4pm and had some REALLY cute kids. I had one little boy reach his hand out to me while he was sitting in his row on the Mine Train (I think he was showing me his wristband), so I go up to him and am like "oh hey, are you giving me a fist bump?" and he gave a little fist bump with a little explosion at the end. SO CUTE. His dad was dying laughing. We also had a mom who waited until her and her daughter were seated in the Mine car before asking to throw out her kid's lollipop. So she HANDS this half-eaten thing to my coworker as if he should go throw it away and my coworker just chucks it into the track hahahaha. He's been here since the Mine opened so he gets away with stuff like that. Also, we had a really nice, cool morning but it heated up pretty quick into a nasty hot afternoon. PLEASE JUST GIVE US THE 60'S AND 70'S.

October 20th (Friday): I had to take my car in to get fixed at 9am, and since it was a three-hour job, Martia was kind enough to come pick me up and we went and got massages! So that was really nice :) After I got my car back I went home to change and eat then drove to work. I worked at Mine from 2:45pm - 11:45pm and it was really good!! I KILLED station assist, which is the person at Mine who's like "party of six? Rows 1, 2, and 3" so that felt good. It's a REALLY fast-paced position and most people hate it, so it feels really nice when you do it well. Also Pirates went down again and we got guests coming to us from them (insert huge eye-roll here). It's tough because you don't know when guests are lying or telling the truth about their paper FP's they got since they were close to the front of the ride/on the ride when the ride broke down. The FP's literally say "EXCLUDES SEVEN DWARFS MINE TRAIN AND PETER PAN'S FLIGHT" but people come up and are like "they said we could use it here because......." and that's a big pain. Because you want to accommodate the guest if they were given the wrong information, but normally the guests just weren't listening close enough or the CM didn't explain it well enough. So we end up accommodating a lot of that and have a terrible FP backup, which then causes our standby line to slow down and all of a sudden these guests that saw us posting a 60-minute wait are now waiting 80 minutes and getting mad. It's a domino effect and it sucks.

October 21st (Saturday): I had a circus shift and worked 2:30pm - 11pm and it was slow when I got there since that was during the parade, then it got pretty busy, then calmed down again. But we had a LOT of guests in the park today. Close in numbers to what we had on the 4th of July! Dumbo A was a big pain in the butt like always and went down a few times for unusual noise. I was there for one of them, and maintenance is so used to us calling that they are close enough they can be over in less than five minutes haha. It only took us seven minutes to power down, power up, cycle, and get approval to continue loading guests. If that happened on a rollercoaster it would take at LEAST 45 minutes until guests could be loaded again. Also we had a BUNCH of issues with little kids riding without parents, or parties splitting up, and it was so inefficient. That's a mix of error on the CM telling people how many Dumbos their party will get, and parties not listening. Shockingly, all that bad stuff aside, I had AWESOME guest interactions!! Lots of families that were willing to chat with me and share their highlights of the day, and super cute kids. So that was really nice. OH and we had really nice and cool weather. Also, funny story, I had a gentleman ask me if Cirque du Soleil was by Dumbo. No sir, that would be in Disney Springs.

October 22nd (Sunday): I started off the day with a Fantasyland East CP event hosted by one of our leaders, where we basically got paid to eat pizza and chips and listen to our leader from 12:45pm - 2pm. GREAT way to start my day. Then I was supposed to be in rotation at Mine from 2pm - 7:30pm (BABY BABY SHIFT) but my coord asked if I wanted to go home early (the answer is always yes) and sent me home at 5:15pm instead! FANTASTIC DAY. Work itself was great, I pulled all easy positions! Side note, the Jonas Brothers were in the park today! They rode before I started work, but that's pretty neat. Also we had to call security on two different parties, I don't know what one the parties did but the other were two boy/men (maybe in their 20's?) who were making disgusting and inappropriate comments to a 13-year old girl in front of her mom. Naturally mom freaked and security was called. I don't know how everything turned out, but there was yelling, and management got involved.

And that was my week!! Insane that we're already at the end of October. WHERE HAS TIME GONE. Also the next two weeks I don't have a since circus shift so that's weird. BUT THE WEATHER IS SUPPOSED TO COOL DOWN PRAAAAIIIIIIIISSSSSEEEE.

No comments:

Post a Comment