D-Fam

D-Fam

Sunday, October 29, 2017

Week Forty: Six Day Workweek, Devil's Den, and Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue

October 23rd (Monday): I worked at the mine from 11am to 11 pm and it was pretty good! I had a few tough groups while at grouper and station assist (the positions that put people into their rows) but aside from that, positions weren't bad. I had a little boy ask if I wanted a hug (always yes) which was cute, and had some really cute families come through FastPass. I was out there at the end of the night and had a little more leniency to let families through, so I let a little girl and her mom ride who had tried to go ride Soarin' only to find out the little girl was a hair too small. They came back around and the little girl gave me a "princess hug" which was ADORABLE. Also it's a lot harder to say no to people when it's late at night and you're sick of getting yelled at haha.

October 24th (Tuesday): I only had one day off this week (the Sunday - Saturday work week), and that happened to be on Tuesday. I got up early and went to Devil's Den with Martia and some circus friends! Devil's Den is an awesome underground spring you can snorkel/scuba dive in about two hours north/northwest (I think) of Orlando.






So we did that then stopped at Olive Garden on the way home for lunch, and ended our evening at Michaelene's house playing games and watching Dance Moms.

October 25th (Wednesday): I was at the mine from noon to 8:30pm, DREAM SHIFT. It started out good, then was kind of bad, then ended good. In the middle of my shift I was grouping and was being watched by my coordinator who told me every time I did something wrong, so that was stressful and made me feel like an idiot but it all turned around after that! AND IT WAS COOL ENOUGH I GOT TO WEAR MY JACKET. Also we had this older man on the train who was SUPER cranky. He "asked" me to pop his lap bar ("hey release my lap bar so I can switch with my kid") and switched seats with this small child. He then starts to turn so that his legs wouldn't just be under his own lap bar, and my coworker says "actually sir, your knees have to be under the same lap bar" and this guy goes "well why didn't you tell me that before I switched seats, that would have been more useful to know" and rolls his eyes. He gets his lap bar down but looks EXTREMELY uncomfortable so I ask him "sir, are you sure you'll be alright for the two and a half minute ride?" and he just goes "I'll be fine just leave me alone" LIKE OKAY SIR. Super rude, but whatever. My coord saw the whole thing go down and was like you guys did everything you were supposed to.

October 26th (Thursday): I had a 9:15am doctor's appointment in the morning for some chronic ankle pain that's been flaring up (I have to go get an MRI next Monday) and went to Animal Kingdom between the doctor and work. My friend, Katy, from my first program (the one we stayed with on our road trip down to Disney in Louisville) and her family were here for a few days so I met up with them in the park! We rode the Kilimanjaro Safari together and basically just walked around for an hour, then I saw Festival of the Lion King by myself and got lunch :)


I had a treat shift from 6:30pm to 12:30am! Last one of the season for me. It was a really fun treat shift, my mine train coworker Remy and I worked the exit candy barrels with a Mermaid ICP from New Zealand and a merchandise ICP from Australia. We had people taking photos with us, and we were in a bunch of live streams and YouTube videos so that was super fun!! I had a lot more fun this treat shift, people were just nicer and less greedy than last time.


October 27th (Friday): I worked at the mine from 9am - 5:30pm and I was SO tired. It was an 8.5 hour turnaround from the night before, so I felt exhausted for my shift. It was a great shift though, I got to pull tower TWICE (you get to sit in this position and not talk to people) and it wasn't too busy. We had a TEN minute wait (yes, a true ten) at 5pm!! INSANE! Also I had some guests in FP that didn't have FP's but were giving me so much trouble I just let them through and told them "next time....blah blah blah". Well the next party in line was a VIP tour group that had seen me getting low key harassed and just come up and say "we appreciate you Marin" and I really appreciated THEM. We don't get a lot of appreciation, so thank you tour group! After work I changed and went into MK to meet up with Katy and her family again. We rode Barnstormer, Mine Train, and Peter Pan, and got Sleep Hollow waffles for a snack/dinner.




October 28th (Saturday): I was supposed to be at the mine from 9:15am - 5:45pm but got an ER to go home at 4:15pm instead! Work was nuts, we were posting 160 minutes as a wait time for a couple of hours, so it was a true 160 minute wait. FP was INSANE, my leader was actually out front helping us because so many people were there and we were getting backed up and no one in the FP line had valid FP's and it was stressful. But on the bright side it was cold enough to wear my jacket at work :) AND after work I got to go to Hoop Dee Doo Musical Revue (restaurant/dinner show at Fort Wilderness) with Jenna and Kasia! Small world, we ran into one of our leaders Katie, exiting her show! She did the 6:15pm and we did the 8:30pm. Hoop is super fun, it's an all you can eat, family style restaurant that has bottomless sangria/beer/wine/soft drinks, salad, cornbread, mashed potatoes, corn, beans, fried chicken, BBQ ribs, man and cheese (by request), and DELICIOUS strawberry shortcake for dessert. In between courses there are six actors/actresses who sing and dance and are super fun. They were a mix of a performer and a stand-up comedian. Cast Members get 50% off, so it cost $37 per person including tip, and we were seated on the second story balcony. Also I got a birthday shoutout so that was fun! I would definitely recommend it, it's super fun and well worth the cast discount. The food isn't incredible by any means, but it's worth a trip :)



October 29th (Sunday): I was off today :) YAY!! I went to Epcot in the morning/afternoon with Martia and we rode Living With the Land and Spaceship Earth. Living With the Land had a FORTY MINUTE WAIT. When is the last time you saw that?! Luckily we had FP's for both :) We also walked the World Showcase (I walked it twice) and got some lunch and snacks. Food & Wine ends in two weeks, so you gotta take advantage of it now! I got home around 5pm and now I'm just relaxing and keeping up on the Seahawks game. Go Hawks!!

I've got a pretty easy two weeks coming up then MY FAMILY COMES TO VISIT AND I CAN'T WAIT!!!! The only bummer is that I have to work eight days in a row, but that's okay :) Also I got back to the normal evening/closing hours. The mid shifts were fun while they lasted :')


No comments:

Post a Comment